U.S. soccer president tells CNN more misconduct cases reported in U.S.
The top official at the U.S. national team has told CNN that more misconduct cases involving the U.S. women’s team are coming out in the United States.
And he’s not worried about another potential sexual misconduct from the women’s soccer team.
Mike Volpe, who has been president of the U.S. Soccer Federation the past three years, told CNN on Wednesday that the team’s behavior was “unacceptable.”
“We’re obviously disappointed that the organization allowed things to go on this way,” Volpe told CNN’s Alisyn Camerota on “Erin Burnett Out Front” on Thursday.
Volpe did not identify which cases had been reported to U.S. Soccer.
“I’ll tell you what’s going on: we’ve had three instances this year, and the ones that we’ve had this year are not good,” he said. “The players are not behaving in a professional way, and they’re causing a lot of hurt to this organization.”
He said one of those cases involved a case of sexual assault.
And he emphasized that his organization’s role was to be a “professional organization.”
Volpe says the team is in a “crisis” and that the U.S. women’s national team needs to be rebuilt.
“We need to clean up our act and we need to clean up our organization, both on the field, and we need to clean up our culture,” he said. “Obviously, we need to fix the culture we’ve created here, because the culture has been an issue, and we’ve allowed that to be an issue.”
U.S. Soccer president confirms new cases
Volpe said the organization has received about two dozen cases of alleged misconduct “since July.”
“I certainly don’t want to name any names, but