TV producer Eric Weinberg has $5-million bail revoked after judge labels him danger to society and “a danger to the community” – after he violated a curfew by walking around the city unsupervised.
His probation officer says Weinberg doesn’t have to attend his first court appearances.
Weinberg, 50, was arrested and charged in August and pleaded guilty to the most minor crime — disorderly conduct.
He is scheduled to appear in court on Feb. 11.
Weinberg, who also does public speaking, was arrested and charged with disorderly conduct earlier this month after he left his home unsupervised, entered a church and broke up a fight.
He was scheduled to appear in court this morning to resolve the disorderly conduct charge.
According to Toronto police, Weinberg walked back to his home after the church service on Dec. 26 near Bathurst and Dundas Sts.
When officers approached him about 5:30 a.m. in the morning, Weinberg came to a halt, turned and walked in the opposite direction from where he was ordered to walk.
About an hour later, police pulled Weinberg over and charged him with disorderly conduct.
On Friday, Weinberg entered a plea of guilty and was given a conditional discharge.
The judge revoked Weinberg’s conditional discharge and revoked his $5-million bail.
Weinberg’s lawyer, Michael Lacy, told CityNews that Weinberg did not leave his home unaccompanied, but voluntarily walked to a public house around the corner to buy a drink.
Lacy said Weinberg’s drinking and past problems with substance abuse are the reasons for Thursday’s action.
“We’re glad to be out of jail,” Lacy told the judge.
The judge ordered Weinberg to attend all future court appearances and also ruled the conditional discharge will be reinstated and be enforceable, if he continues to have no problems with alcohol or drugs.
Police said there are no outstanding warrants issued for Weinberg and no information has been developed that anyone else was